Sunday, June 26, 2011

Asian Style Chicken Dinner




It isn't uncommon for our family to have our Sunday dinner feature chicken. However, usually we have a Southern Fried Chicken dinner. Sometimes we have a succulent Roasted Chicken Dinner. Today, I decided to shake things up.

My daughter in law has been wanting Chinese food takeout for the last week or so. I decided to give her Asian flavors from my very own hands and kitchen. With no real recipe in hand, I relied on my ability to identify flavors and ingredients in foods that I have previously enjoyed. The result was nothing short of amazing! I rounded out the Asian Flavored chicken with steamed Jasmine rice and Stir-fried green beans.


Asian Flavored Chicken

Marinade Ingredients :

2 tsp. Garlic Powder
2 tsp. Onion Powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Juice of one Lime
1/4 cup Lite Soy Sauce
1 tsp Sriracha Sauce

Chicken:

I used 6 large chicken thighs. Use what you prefer.

Method :

Mix marinade ingredients. Massage into the chicken and place in a plastic bowl, covered in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour.

Remove from fridge, and dust generously with 1/2 cup corn starch.


The Fry:

Fry the chicken pieces until browned. (They will not be cooked through at this point)
Drain, and remove to baking dish in warm oven. (325 degree) Begin to prepare the sauce.


Sauce Ingredients:

One Medium Onion, small dice
4 tbsp minced fresh ginger
4 cloves minced fresh garlic
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 tbsp. Sesame Oil
1/8 tsp. Red Pepper flakes

Saute aromatic veggies in oil until they caramelize. Then add following mixture:

1/2 cup Soy Sauce
Juice of One Lime
1/2 cup water (hot from tap)
1/2 cup brown sugar (stir to dissolve)
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder

Cook until it comes together. Then pour sauce over chicken and cook for 25 minutes uncovered in the oven.Sauce will thicken and become glossy. Serve over steamed Jasmine rice.

3 comments:

Shannon Hudson! said...

I am the daughter in law she made this dinner for, and it was FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wayyy better than Chinese take out by far! LOVED IT MOM! THANKS!!

BeckeyZ said...

You are killing me here!!!! Looks and sounds really good. I am going to have to start cooking again. Take out is getting old.

Da Bee's Knees said...

Shann, you're welcome Sweetpea! I love you.
Beckey, this dish is worth making. *hug*